Monday, February 11, 2013

The Sharn Codex: Thoughts on Character Improvement


First off, I want to thank +Jacob Poss for being such an accommodating game master today. I had a personal matter which came up unexpectedly, and he was cool when I told him I wasn't going to be able to make it. Thankfully, the issue resolved before play finished, and Jake allowed me to jump in for a fun time. 


I think I'm starting to get the hang out of Fate Core. I know I'm still swimming in the shallows, but it's starting to come more and more naturally to me. I really like creating aspects. That's turned out to be the easiest part of the system for me because I'm strongest when coming up with descriptive turns of phrase.

One of the things the guys suggested to me at the end of the session was taking some kind of shapeshifting stunt that would enhance my fighting ability. While I like that idea, I question whether or not I should do it. Basically, it comes from two different worries: first, that I'd drift away from who  Sim Delvoor is supposed to be. Second, I don't want to overpower the character. 

I've mentioned before that I originally modeled Sim after a specific character -- Neal Caffrey from the USA crime drama,  White Collar. The dirty little secret behind this is that I, Jordan, want to be Neal. He's a smart, sophisticated guy with artistic inclinations that can move through most circles of society without a problem. He's an independent thinker who's driven by strong personal motives. 

Sim is similar (heh). He's got contacts everywhere, and can move through almost any social circle. He's not above breaking the law to get what he wants. And he's got an antagonistic relationship with a group member. I specifically took the aspect "Flint Knows my Scent" to try replicating Caffrey's tracking anklet in the TV series. No matter where Caffrey goes, Special Agent Peter Burke can sniff him out with the help of a high-powered satellite. Flint can do the same to Sim, just with the prowess of a bloodhound.

(Sim loved putting a knife to Flint's throat today. So tempting...)

The idea of Sim being able to shape shift into a Hulk on will doesn't necessarily feel proper from a character perspective. He's supposed to be a guy who can get his way with his words and perceived social standing. When things don't work out, he does get dark. Cutting out that guard's tongue only proves that. But I feel like his dark side is something he struggles with. 

If I took a stunt that would allow me to switch my stat block out, I would have to put some severe limitations on it. Perhaps Sim would have to take physical stress to have it occur. Maybe taking a consequence would trigger it. This could be the reason he tries so hard to avoid physical confrontation. He doesn't want to release the berserker lurking beneath the mask. I'll have to consider this more. 

Maybe I should write a stunt that is specifically about switching out my different aliases. Only two of  my three permanent non-Sim aliases have been seen: Brago the bartender and Nadell Rotai the inquisitive. The third alias could be a mercenary character that I could take on pending a deceit roll. It would be funny because it'd be like a kind of Clark Kent/Superman dynamic between these two aliases. 

Anyway, food for thought. I'm not sure what I'll do here. I'm definitely open for suggestions from other, more experienced Fate aficionados. 

No comments:

Post a Comment