Sunday, December 29, 2013

Fate Accelerated Character Experiment

So, one of my favorite things in the world is music. When I find a good album, I’ll obsess over it like crazy. And, sometimes, I’ll see glimpses of a greater story peeking out of the lyrics. I’ve used playlists before to represent my character’s relationships with other player characters, but I thought I’d take it a bit deeper. What if you used an album to create a character for Fate Accelerated Edition? Song lines can be aspects, if selected well, can be aspects, and you can also draw inspiration.

My recent obsession has been “Freaks” by The Hawk in Paris. It’s a really interesting electronica/pop album that has some really interesting dissonance going on (and some interesting spaghetti-western soundtrack splurges, too). One of the things I love about it, though, is how descriptive the lyrics are. There’s a lot of imagery in the lines that really catches my attention. So, without further ado, the inspired player character:

Name: The Hawk 
Description: An android from a post-apocalyptic, low-light world, The Hawk originally came to the Earth to be a force of chaos. Falling in love with a human woman, Izzy Sterling, The Hawk decided to act as a force of good instead. Afraid of being considered a freak, The Hawk finds himself most comfortable on society’s fringes. 
Aspects:
  • I’m a robot army sent to end your world
  • I will stand between the world and you
  • We will open up our eyes when the stars come out
  • I can hear the sound of violence in every word you breathe
  • Our love is science fiction.

Approaches:
  • Careful: +0
  • Clever: +2
  • Flashy:  +1
  • Forceful: +3
  • Quick: +1
  • Sneaky: +2

Stunts:
  • Because I have built-in cloaking technology, my face will appear to be a blur of shifting colors to human video technology. I can use this once per session to overcome an obstacle presented by technology.
  • Because I move most comfortably in the fringes of society, I get a +2 bonus to sneakily create an advantage when operating at night.
  • Because I’m a robot army sent to end your world, I can take a +2 bonus to forcefully attack an enemy that’s opposing me.
Stress: [] [] []
Consequences
  • Mild (2):
  • Moderate (4):
  • Severe (6):



If you’d like to listen to “Freaks,” you can check it out here: LINK

No comments:

Post a Comment