Sunday, January 20, 2013

Dark Lanterns: The Sharn Codex



I went for a while before I was involved in another game that was recorded over Hangouts. But this one, I'm excited about. It's a hack of Eberron (a D&D setting I've always wanted to play) as run in the new FATE Core. As of right now, we're using the pre-release PDF that you can grab for a meager $1 over at the Kickstarter pre-order page (At least, for the time being).

I've been interested in FATE for a while now, but it's one of those games I didn't understand until I started playing.  It's a narrative driven game that can be very crunchy. I don't do well with crunch unless I can actually get to play the system. This session was really informative, helping me grasp what's going on mechanically. The other players are also really awesome, coaching me through the sample combat.

One of the coolest parts of the game was I was able to create a character that was exactly up my alley. In D&D terms, my Changeling would probably be a rogue. But in my mind, he's a fantasy version of the main character on the TV show White Collar. It was really easy to build the character, and he really feels like a fleshed out character.

This is an ongoing campaign, so I'll be posting about this more in the future, as the games progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment